Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Road to the Kontinuum Corset: Part 3 - Transfers and Tribulations

Initially I was planning on transferring my logo to the corset once it was finished but my plan of attack has changed.

The obvious and technically easiest route would be dressmaker's carbon. Notice I said 'technically'easiest? Absolutely it would be easy to transfer the design but finding dressmakers was apparently a lot more difficult than I expected. As my Jo-Ann's didn't have any I tried looking for a transfer pencil where they usually are but oddly there weren't any... And I couldn't find one anywhere else either.

My next attempt was to make a stencil so I could just draw the design on. I ended up making three different stencils, one with cardboard and two with overhead transparency sheets, none of which would allow me to get the curves as precise as they need to be. Apparently cutting a spiral stencil with a moderately sharp Exacto knife isn't as easy as I thought it should be. After the first stencil didn't work I rethought the design slightly making certain parts wider in hopes it would make the new stencils easier to cut. It did, but once they were finished there were still some jagged edges that would mess up my tracing.

I continued to rack my brain in search of a solution. It took awhile but I decided to go old school and transfer my design to tissue paper and stitch over it as accurately as I could. Finally started and it does seem to be going well. I'm still doing all the embroidery after the corset's completion but happily this should make that go much more smoothly. Now that's all sussed time to hit the road and continue to venture forth.

Next time: The Road to the Kontinuum Corset: Part 4 - Boning Channels (unless I need to rearrange my construction order again)

No comments:

Post a Comment